Monday, March 24, 2008

Thoughts from a Q hater...


The Smart Set deems itself "an online publication covering culture and ideas, arts and sciences, global and national affairs." So what? Well, The Smart Set published an article about one woman's experience working at the Q. And, friends, her portrayal reads less than rosy. Here is a snippet of her interaction with a woman who works in global sourcing:

I look up at her, surprised. I know that getting goods made in other countries is necessary if QVC wants to stay competitive and keep its prices low. I’m not that naive. But what I realize I don’t know is how ethical or unethical QVC is in getting those goods made. I imagine this lady haggling over cost at a factory where women are paid $1 a day to sew pants for 16 hours. I don’t know what to say to her...I stare at her, amazed that she can do that. That she can send her daughter to college and wear her pink sweaters and eat oily pasta salad while also traveling to countries and essentially taking advantage of people – staring their living conditions in the face and telling factory owners if they can’t make a particular Sport Savvy warm-up set for $2 less, QVC will take its business elsewhere.

I don't know about you Q Factor readers, but I have a thing about high horses. And I think Miss

That’s when I realize: QVC does have ethics. It’s like Christianity for me: I might not agree with the belief system or the advertising methods. I might not trust Jesus or QVC host Lisa Robertson as my prophet. But at the same time, we can agree on some basic rules in life: Don’t kill people. Don’t sell furs.

QVC picked the wrong girl for the job. Favreau failed in her essay and in her job to grasp the true beauty of the Q. QVC succeeds in its ability to bring new, innovative ideas and designs to large markets, the opportunities the company presents to new vendors, and the unbeatable quality of the merchandise they sell. Favreau, clearly, does not understand the Q value.

No comments: